The Board of Fondulac District Library seeks to provide and ensure a safe and welcoming environment, including quiet areas for study and work, which is conducive to the appropriate use of the facilities and services offered to library customers and library employees. Library facilities are intended for patrons and staff who are engaged in the use of library services and resources.
We expect our customers to treat all people and property with respect. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Engaging in conversation and behaviors in a manner that does not disturb, offend, harass or threaten others or their property.
- Using library items, furnishings, equipment, supplies, and facilities only for their intended function, in a manner that does not interfere with others’ use and does not damage or threaten to damage library property.
- Attending to personal belongings. The responsibility for loss or damage to unattended personal belongings rests solely with the customer.
- Following all library policies, including but not limited to policies on:
Examples of conduct and actions not permitted anywhere on the library’s property include, but are not limited to:
- Smoking, including the use of smokeless tobacco and electronic cigarettes; possessing, consuming or being under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs. Use, possession, or smoking of marijuana is not permitted on library property.
- Entering the library with items the general population views as threatening, or that could damage library materials, threaten the safety of others, damage property, or threaten to damage the property of others.
- Eating, except in areas designated for this use.
- Drinking beverages from cans or containers without lids. (Beverages are not allowed in computer areas.)
- Prolonged or habitual sleeping.
- Loitering in the entrance, lobbies, restrooms, or any other non-study area for more than 15 minutes.
- Using the restrooms and supplies for other than their intended purpose.
- Disrupting others’ use of library facilities or services due to personal hygiene or excessive body odor. (Shoes and shirts are required.)
- Solicitation of library patrons and staff.
Service animals are welcome. However, pets are not welcome on library property.
The Fondulac District Library reserves the right to require anyone violating the Code of Conduct to leave library property and to determine appropriate levels of progressive discipline. Serious or repeated misconduct may lead to immediate or further suspension from the Library and to legal action or criminal prosecution. Illegal behavior will not be tolerated in the Library, and police will be called immediately.
Those wishing to appeal suspensions may do so by writing to the Board of the Trustees at the library’s address.
Updated: August 27, 2012, September 30, 2013, February 24, 2014, November 24, 2014